Friday, April 4, 2014

Style/Copped



I've been very, very, very slowly amassing my S/S '14 wardrobe - mostly because, um, it turns out that solo jaunts to Europe are kiiiind of expensive? Passport renewal! Electronics adaptors! International data plans! So between paying for the trip and the massive guilt I was feeling anytime I spent money that could've been saved for, I don't know, MORE crêpes aux framboises, I kept putting off purchases until I was sure I had enough money saved up (plus, you know, that sign I hung in my room that says Eurotrip > Clothing). 

The point of all this is that these are all purchases I sat on for a really, really long time, and so far I'm beyond satisfied with all of them. I don't really believe in purchasing for a single season/trend, but I definitely tried to plan with living in a more formal city this summer in mind. Not a single pocket tee to be found! I bought a dress! I don't even know who I AM anymore. Also, a lot of black. New York, you've slain me. 

Uh, yeah, so here's the stuff:

1) J. Crew Pleated Crepe Short in black  - one of the purchases I made expressly for Paris. I've never been into pants in the summer, but French sister Adele impressed upon me very strongly that a short in a more formal fabric and structured composition would be the only acceptable shorts to wear in Paris. Noted! They run super huge, obviously. I'm usually a 00 in their shorts and I'm still gonna need my mama to take these in. 

2) Madewell Slingback Sightseer Sandal - the picture doesn't really do these justice. The stitching is completely invisible when you wear them and the straps are really minimal and flattering and the hardware isn't as noticeable and god I love these shoes. Unbelievably comfortable. Absolute 10/10. I love the relaxed appeal and versatility of lighter brown leather, and the simple structure lets them blend seamlessly into a lot of outfits. 

3) Uniqlo Men's Crewneck Sweater in black - because I somehow made it 20 years without owning a black sweater, and it was time. I chose men's because I wanted it to have a little drape, and Uniqlo because I wear my sweaters into the ground and I knew I'd be replacing it sooner or later anyways. 

4) Madewell Simple Stacking Rings - So, the fun thing about Madewell is that if you lose one of their gift cards, they'll replace it no questions asked three months later. And that's how I came to take my first foray into accessorizing, something I never would have done on my own dime. Gold was verboten in my house growing up - ask my mother and sister, we were strictly a silver family - but in the past few years I've really come to love the way simple "gold" jewelry draws just enough attention to itself to read as "Hello, I've accessorized!" without being gaudy.  

5) Zara Shift Dress - Okay, so the dress pictured is actually not the one I bought. There was no picture online when I made this graphic. But hear me out. I posted earlier about being on the hunt for The Perfect White Shift Dress - at the time, I mentioned that it existed only in my head, which was true, because I was actually planning to make it. But time went on and it became clear that there was simply not going to be time for that between arriving in Buffalo and leaving again, and I started to give up the dream until one day I stumbled upon it in Zara. I'm kind of embarrassed about the fact that it was Zara all along, but I have a The White Dress now.

6) Sam Edelman Petty in black leather - Entirely a want, 0% a need, except that I used my Chelsea boots as beaters this winter and could probably use a new black ankle boot. I wasn't planning on buying until fall, but then my tax return came in and I realized that since my oxfords are falling apart, I could easily get plenty of summer wear out of these. I'm not really a heel girl, but these are the right height to lengthen the leg line without the annoyance of wearing heels. I was reallyyy tempted to get the suede/stack heel, but it felt like those were going to be a little dated in a few seasons and I wanted to get something that, if trendy in shape, was not as trendy in material. 

No comments:

Post a Comment